Head of Engineering (Electromechanical)
United Kingdom, England, LondonEngineering
About the Job
At Dexory, we believe that real time data will revolutionise the logistics industry. We are building the ultimate data insights platform that provides companies with unprecedented, real time access to their operations. Our autonomous data capturing technology and insights generation capabilities help to measure, track and find goods across warehouses in real time, while building the ultimate digital twin of facilities.
Join us at a very exciting time of growth as we’re significantly ramping up all areas of the business to lead the way in logistics data globally, backed by some of Europe’s best VCs and driven by passion, curiosity and teamwork.
We value humility and we're as interested in your character as we are in your talent. Please apply, even if you feel you only meet part of our listed criteria. Diversity drives innovation and we offer an international and friendly work environment with an energetic company culture.
What does this role involve?
As Head of Engineering (Electromechanical), you will be managing and driving our hardware & production engineering team deliver technically complex projects by providing the support, management, and coordination to allow them to function at their best.
You will be defining the process we use to support a high-performance engineering team, and will work closely with the business, management, and product teams to ensure that we have the resources and strategy in place to turn customer requirements into deliverable features.
This is an engineering leadership role that offers both direct management responsibility as well as strategic oversight and coordination between the engineering teams and wider company. You will report directly to the CTO and work closely with the other Heads of Engineering to deliver an ambitious program of development.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Facilitating communication and coordination between the production/hardware, software, product, and management teams, ensuring that everyone is working towards the same goals.
- Working as part of the senior management team to contribute to the monitoring and planning of hardware engineering activity, including staffing and technology requirements, budgeting, reporting, and long-term roadmapping.
- Establishing effective, sustainable workflows for product delivery across the team, supporting them to deliver high-quality products at a steady pace.
- Acting as the direct line manager for senior hardware engineering staff and supporting them to provide line management to other team members.
- Owning the process of delivery for hardware projects – including the coordination of project kickoff meetings, Agile ceremonies, and product demos.
You will need:
- Demonstrable experience of engineering leadership and team management in a senior role over a number of years.
- Have experience working within & leading electromechanical / production teams
- A clear understanding of the theory and practice of workflows for hardware/production project delivery.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders across the whole company, expressing project requirements and challenges in clear and transparent language.
- Experience of managing multiple concurrent projects to time, budget, and performance specifications, including the scheduling and prioritisation of conflicting requirements.
- Effective team management skills, demonstrating an ability to support a multidisciplinary team of engineering experts and helping to enable them to achieve their own career goals.
- Experience with the real-world, commercial challenges of deploying and operating large-scale hardware systems.
As a company, we’re still in the start-up phase of our life – we’re a small VC-funded team, but we have a great platform in an advanced stage of development. You’ll play a significant role in shaping the future of our products, culture, and engineering team.
We are a diverse, remote-friendly team – the nature of our product means that many of the team will spend time on-site at our offices in London, but all of our teams routinely work remotely as well. We have flexible working hours – as a hardware startup we have occasional important deadlines and site visits, but work-life balance is important to us, and we strive to keep disruption to a minimum.
You’ll receive a market-rate salary, stock options, and whatever equipment you need, as well as an annual training and conference budget.
Dexory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. It prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, colour, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.